Wednesday, October 24, 2012

8th Grade Ceramics- "Piggy" Banks

I decided to switch things up with my 8th grade ceramics class this 6 weeks. We decided to give piggy banks a shot. The kids have had a lot of fun making these. 
To make them, start with 2 similar sized balls of clay and make 2 pinch pots. Attach the 2 pinch pots together. Next, add the facial features, a head if desired, and any other important objects to give the "piggy" bank life and character. To add legs, we rolled some fat coils and scored and slipped them to the bottom. Finally, we cut out the coin slot and a hole for the cork (make sure the cork is big enough for a coin to fit through. 
Here are the projects in progress. I can't wait to fire them and get them glazed!






12/19/12
Here are a few more in progress piggy banks from this 6 weeks:





5 comments:

  1. Awww These are so Cute I'm going to have to try them with My 8th grade advanced art class

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an awesome blog! I wish you were still posting more of your creative ideas! What did you use for the cork/where did you get it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words! I really need to get back to blogging. I have so many posts started but just haven't had time to get to it. Maybe I'll try to get back at it this year.
      I order my corks from here
      https://www.bangorcork.com/products/cork-products/cork-stoppers
      And I'm pretty sure I get size 18 or 20.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the cork info - I am sitting in my classroom attempting to guess at sizes, and I was thinking I needed ~#18, it's nice to have confirmation! Question (and I realize this depends in part on the clay moisture content), but do you have any tips for having students make a correctly sized hole? Did you have them all cut an inch and a half sized hole, for example? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have them trace the big side of the cork and cut out that hole. When it dries, the small side will fit in.

      Delete