Wednesday, January 30, 2013

7th Grade 3D- Cupcake Wars

My 7th grade 3-D class is trying out a new project this 6 weeks. Taken from the reality TV show, Cupcake Wars, students learned about pop artists, Andy Warhol and Claes Oldenburg. Andy Warhol is a famous artist who is known for creating artwork of "popular" objects such as advertisements and famous people. Oldenburg is most famous for his large food sculptures.

 Artwork by Oldenburg
Artwork by Warhol

Students then discussed how reality TV is a part of our lives. Students would be creating their very own clay cupcakes for our first ever "Cupcake Wars". While the students are not going to get a $10,000 prize, the school will be voting on their favorite for a skip to the front of the lunch line pass. 

We started making small pinch pots and using a silicone cupcake holder as a mold for the base. As I was demonstrating how to create the mold, I discovered that the clay was sticking so a little bit of thinking on my feet led me to using PAM in the liners first. 
Next, students created the top structure of their cupcake by either making a larger pinch pot or making a coil. 
 Pinch Pot
 Coil

Then it was time to start decorating their cupcakes. The more details they could put on their cupcake, the better! I am so pleased with them so far! Most of the class has finished. I can't wait to see them all glazed or painted (I haven't decided which we will do). 














No comments:

Post a Comment